Created by Floware Team
A DMG file (.dmg) is a Mac OS X Disk Image file and it is used to package files or folders providing compression, encryption, and read-only to the package.
Create a "DMG installer" for OS X Use
Step 1: open /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app/
- File -> New -> Disk Image from Folder
Step 2: Select the folder Flo.app/ when prompted then click Image.
- In the Save As field enter a name for the file like Flo.dmg.
- From the Image Format drop-down select read/write then click Save.
Step 3: Mount the dmg and open it by double-clicking the file in Finder or from Terminal
- open Flo.dmg
- open /Volumes/Flo/
Step 4: Create a link/shortcut to /Applications folder by right-clicking on the Applications folder and selecting Make Alias then drag it into the dmg folder or from Terminal
- cd /Volumes/Flo/
- ln -s /Applications Applications
- In Finder press CMD+1 to switch to icon view and arrange icons as needed.
- Press CMD+J to show the View Options window and adjust view settings as needed.
- From Background: section choose Picture then Drag and drop the image you want to use.
Step 5: Unmount/Eject the dmg when finished with View Options or from Terminal:
- umount /Volumes/Flo/
Step 6: Compress and convert to Read-only From Disk Utility right-click on Flo.dmg disk image
- In the Save As field enter a new name for the file like FloOsx.dmg.
- From the Image Formate drop-down select read-only then click Save or from Terminal:
- hdiutil convert -format UDZO -o FloOsx.dmg Flo.dmg