Passepartout is a non-official, user-friendly OpenVPN® client for iOS.
All profiles in one place
Passepartout lets you handle multiple profiles in one single place and quickly switch between them.
Ease of use
With its native look & feel, Passepartout focuses on ease of use. It does so by stripping the .ovpn flags that are today obsolete or rarely used. With good approximation, it mimics the most relevant features you will find in OpenVPN 2.4.x.
Trust cellular or Wi-Fi networks to fine-grain your connectivity. You can then choose to retain a VPN connection when entering a trusted network, or prevent it completely.
Enjoy the convenience of Siri shortcuts to automate frequent VPN actions.
Override network settings
Override default gateway, DNS and proxy settings right from the app. Don't bother editing the .ovpn file or your pushed server settings. This is especially useful if you want to override your provider settings, e.g. to integrate your own DNS-based ad blocking.
See your connection parameters
Passepartout strives for transparency, by showing a fairly detailed yet understandable resume of your connection parameters.
Disconnect on sleep
Keeping the VPN active in the background provides smoother operation, but may be tough for the battery. You might want to use this feature if you're concerned about battery life. When the device goes to sleep, the VPN will disconnect to then reconnect on device wake-up.
No unrequested activity
Passepartout is a VPN client and does absolutely nothing else without your consent. The providers infrastructures are obtained via a static GitHub API if and only if you manually refresh them.
Presets for major providers
Passepartout can connect to a few well-known VPN providers with an existing account:
In preset mode, you can pick pre-resolved IPv4 endpoints when DNS is problematic.
Import .ovpn profiles
Passepartout can import .ovpn configuration files. This way you can fine-tune encryption without tweaking and reimporting a new configuration.
You can find details on what may or may not work in the related section of the TunnelKit README.
- iOS 11.0+
- Xcode 11+ (Swift 5)
- Git (preinstalled with Xcode Command Line Tools)
- Ruby (preinstalled with macOS)
- CocoaPods 1.8.0
It's highly recommended to use the Git and Ruby packages provided by Homebrew.
Download the app codebase locally:
$ git clone https://github.com/passepartoutvpn/passepartout-ios.git
Enter the directory and clone the submodules:
$ git submodule init $ git submodule update
Assuming you have a working CocoaPods environment, setting up the app workspace only requires installing the pod dependencies:
$ pod install
For the VPN to work properly, the app requires:
- App Groups and Keychain Sharing capabilities
- App IDs with Packet Tunnel entitlements
both in the main app and the tunnel extension target.
Make sure to update
Passepartout-iOS/Config.xcconfig according to your developer account and your identifiers:
CFG_TEAM_ID = A1B2C3D4E5 CFG_APP_ID = com.example.ios.MyApp CFG_GROUP_ID = com.example.MyAppGroup // omit the "group." prefix CFG_APPSTORE_ID = 1234567890 // optional for development, can be bogus
After that, open
Passepartout.xcworkspace in Xcode and run the
This project is licensed under the GPLv3.
The logo is taken from the awesome Circle Icons set by Nick Roach.
The country flags are taken from: https://github.com/lipis/flag-icon-css/
- Kvitto - © 2015 Oliver Drobnik
- lzo - © 1996-2017 Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer
- MBProgressHUD - © 2009-2016 Matej Bukovinski
- PIATunnel - © 2018-Present Private Internet Access
- SSZipArchive - © 2010-2012 Sam Soffes
- SwiftGen - © 2018 SwiftGen
- SwiftyBeaver - © 2015 Sebastian Kreutzberger
This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (https://www.openssl.org/)
© 2002-2018 OpenVPN Inc. - OpenVPN is a registered trademark of OpenVPN Inc.
- Chinese (Simplified): OnlyThen - @OnlyThen
- Dutch: Norbert de Vreede - @paxpacis
- English: Davide De Rosa (author)
- French: Julien Laniel - @linkjul
- German: Christian Lederer, Theodor Tietze
- Greek: Konstantinos Koukoulakis
- Italian: Davide De Rosa (author)
- Polish: Piotr Książek
- Portuguese: Helder Santana - @heldr
- Russian: Alexander Korobynikov
- Spanish: Davide De Rosa (author), Elena Vivó
- Swedish: Henry Gross-Hellsen - @cowpod