(still open for name suggestions…)
Simply connect your MacBook to the power :electric_plug:, "lock" it in your StatusBar :closed_lock_with_key: using MacLock, and an alarm :rotating_light: will sound loudly as soon as your MacBook is disconnected from the power.
Note: This is still beta and has some known issues (see To Do as well).
Download MacLock here, add it to your
/Applications directory and launch it.
If you'd like to use your terminal, just copy this and hit return…
/usr/bin/python2.7 -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/geroembser/MacLock/master/Install/main.py)"
[> 50 :star: and there's a chance to use one of the well known Mac package managers… :smile:]
Or clone and build it yourself!
:warning: No Warranty! :warning:
No warranty! There are known security issues. If someone wants to steal your Mac, this app won't stop them. However, a warning signal may help to draw attention to what is happening.
To Do :pencil:
- [ ]
launchdhelper for improved Authorization flow
- [ ] Write kernel extension which allows playing alarm only through internal speakers (bypass the headphone jack-control which seems to be deeply integrated into the driver)
- [ ] For all the "Terminal-Guys": lock via short terminal command!
- [ ] Mute other processes while playing alarms (like iTunes)
- [ ] Add smartphone notification mechanism
- [ ] Talk to the thieves from your smartphone (e.g. using FaceTime Audio for iOS?!)
- [ ] New alarm sounds
- [ ] Add recognizable icon
- [ ] add more options for customization in Status Bar
Contribution is welcome at any time… Just submit a Pull Request...
This project is licensed under the MIT License - see the LICENSE file for details
- Current alarm sound is "in store anti theft alarm.wav" of "soundslikewillem" released under CC BY-NC 3.0 (https://freesound.org/s/377156/)
- StatusBarItem and AppIcon used modified version of Unlock by Delta from the Noun Project