xcdiff is an extensible tool that finds differences between two .xcodeproj project files. It can be thought of as git diff for .xcodeproj files, which can be used directly from the command line as well as a library supporting your own set of tools.
How to use xcdiff
Running the command
xcdiff in your project directory will search for two
.xcodeproj files in this directory and use all of xcdiff's comparators on the projects (e.g. targets, sources and headers).
You can also specify two particular projects for xcdiff to compare.
xcdiff -p1 OriginalProject.xcodeproj -p2 GeneratedProject.xcodeproj
Here is an example output:
To see a detailed report of differences you can specify the
xcdiff -p1 OriginalProject.xcodeproj -p2 GeneratedProject.xcodeproj -v
- When adopting project generation (e.g. using tools like XcodeGen or Tuist), comparing the generated xcodeproj files against the original ones can help boost confidence in the migration process.
- Probably a few more we haven't thought of yet!...
- Install xcdiff and use from the command line.
- Add as a dependency of your macOS project (xcdiff follows the semantic versioning).
- Read xcdiff CLI documentation or try
- Check out how to use XCDiffCore Framework in your own project.
All improvements to xcdiff are very welcome!
If you see an issue that you would like to see fixed, the best way to make it happen is to help out by submitting a Pull Request implementing it. Before sending a Pull Request, please make sure you read our Contribution Guidelines. Information in Development Documentation can help you to set up your local development environment.
We also welcome Issue Reports. Be sure to choose the proper issue template for your issue, so that all necessary details are provided.
We would like to thank the authors and contributors of the following projects:
Code of Conduct
This project has adopted a Code of Conduct. If you have any concerns about the Code, or behavior which you have experienced in the project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security Vulnerability Reporting
If you believe you have identified a security vulnerability in this project, please send email to the project team at email@example.com, detailing the suspected issue and any methods you've found to reproduce it.
Please do NOT open an issue in the GitHub repository, as we'd prefer to keep vulnerability reports private until we've had an opportunity to review and address them.
xcdiff is released under version 2.0 of the Apache License.
You may find interesting
0.5.0 - 2020-10-16 16:14:44
- Bump version to 0.5.0 (#68)
- Use -json xcodebuild option when extracting resolved settings (#65)
- Better error descriptions when errors don’t conform to LocalizedError (#64)
- Switch to Xcode12 and MacOS 10.15 for CI (#67)
- Update XcodeProj to 7.14.0 (#66)
0.4.0 - 2020-07-07 08:16:12
- Bump version to 0.4.0 (#61)
- Add dependencies comparator (#44)
- Replace SPM dependency with Swift Tool Support (#59)
- Update Travis to build xcdiff with Xcode 11.5 (#60)
- Extend --list command output to show which comparators do not run by default (#55)
- Add support for HTML format (#56)
- Display values for settings present only in one project (#54)
- Apply more lenient comparison for inputFileListPaths and outputFileListPaths (#52)
0.3.0 - 2020-03-27 08:45:55
- Bump version to 0.3.0 (#48)
- Update to XcodeProj 7.8.0 (#47)
- Rename sut to subject (#45)
- Rename dependencies comparator to linked_dependencies (#43)
- Move ComparatorTypeTests to Comparator directory (#42)
- Add copy files build phase comparator (#40)
- Add build phases comparator (#38)
- Setup codecov (#36)
- Switch to Xcode 11.1 (#37)
- Fix SettingsComparator to handle missing configurations (#35)
- Fix inaccurate embedded framework comparator results (#33)
- Add install action in the Makefile (#29)
- Add swiftpm/ to .gitignore (#31)
- Move Release.md to Documentation directory (#23)
- Fix issue causing resources within built products to be omitted from results (#30)
- Remove SPMUtility from XCDiffCore (#27)
- Bump Xcodeproj and Version Lock SPM (#22)
- Fix PATH installation documentation (#19)
- Update README (#18)
- Add a Release.md (#16)
0.2.0 - 2019-10-22 11:02:51
xcdiff's first public release 🎉
- Update version to 0.2.0 (#15)
- Test improvements (#9)
- Update target comparator to compare product types (#13)
- Add Makefile (#12)
- Change error to include usage info (#11)
- Header Attributes Difference Check Bug (#7)
- Make command line target option behaviour consistent (#8)
- Run swiftlint and swiftformat on CI (#6)
- Add build badge to README (#4)
- Travis CI integration (#2)
- Add Mint installation instructions (#1)